Thursday, February 5, 2009

So, where do we go from here?

Sooo, I'm stuck... I've got all these great ideas and no idea which ones to follow.

1. I could continue to work at Barnes and Noble here.
2. I could work at Barnes and Noble in NJ (or anywhere for that matter).
3. I could apply to teach English in a Christian school.
4. I could work to get my teacher certification via alternate route in NJ.
5. I could go to seminary (granted this sounds a little crazy, but it would NOT be with the intention of becoming a pastor...more like a very educated lay person).

I have decided to make a list of pros and cons for the above. Good grief that's going to be a huge spreadsheet. And how do you decide even with the pros and cons enumerated? Oh I love being an adult...

3 comments:

  1. Do you enjoy teaching?

    I would advise against #5. You can continue to study whatever you wish to in your "free" time, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to go to seminary to become a very educated lay person. You ARE a very educated lay person. Investing more money to go to seminary to become what you already are (especially when you could accomplish the same goal in your free time at your own pace for pennies vs. thousands of dollars) doesn't seem to me to be the way to go. Of course, that's just my opinion and please take it as that.

    Tell me more about #4...how much time does that involve? How much freer would you be to choose a teaching job after you accomplish the certificate? Would it increase your salary to have the certificate? Expand your options? What would you do while you earn the certificate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about the teaching. I most definitely DID NOT enjoy teaching 2nd grade. It was NO FUN. High school could (and probably would) be an entirely different ball game.

    From what I understand, alternate route would involve getting a preliminary certificate, and then teaching in a public school while getting the standard certificate. I'm still not 100% sure how this works. I would be many times more able to land a teaching job with the certificate. It would also both increase my salary and expand my options. It seems smart, but still, I am not sure.

    Another option would be to stay in TX, and try to go back to school here, most likely for a Master's in English. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever thought about a Master's Degree in Library Science? It would still allow you to work in a school or at a university, but has the additional benefit of employment in public library system, which are government jobs and there are a lot of benefits to that. Plus, major corporations, museums, and non-profits also hire Library Science degree holders because they have their own libraries of books, documents, etc. or they hire them as researchers. If I ever go back to school, I think it will be for that. Another excuse to be around books and information all the time.

    ReplyDelete